Wednesday 4 September 2013



A week ago, i had achieved a goal I had for a long time. A goal that took a lot of time, patience and Irn-Bru. I had finally reached the platinum tier within League of Legends. For some, this road doesn't take much effort and for others it seems unreachable. It could take someone less then twenty games to reach Platinum and for others it could take a thousand. It took me around three hundred ranked games to get to my destination. When i had reached it i said to myself  "finally I deserve to be here", which I felt was justified. But when I really thought about my journey to get there, I decided it wasn't that simple to just say that i belonged in a certain tier. 
I started playing League of Legends in season two,  and it wasn't until the end I decided I wanted to reach gold in ranked. I had reached 1550 elo at the time and then lost 100 before the season ended. My reward was a silver border encrusted with the memory of that 100 elo I lost. At the time I blamed everyone but myself. I was a representation of the people that now frustrate me and a lot of other people in the LoL community. Before season three started I had a long think about how I could gain elo. I realized that if i wanted elo I could have just asked someone to carry me which I know a lot of my friends on LoL would have. What I really wanted was to become a better player. 
I played with the same people in my early gaming on LoL and I would be asked to go support as it was 'the easiest role'. At the time I fully believed them. I would sit in a brush and now and again come out and place a ward where i was told too. My AD Carry would tell me not to farm minions, I had to buy Aegis straight away to make me less squishy and that was how I leveled up from one to thirty. It wasn't until I expanded my friends list did I see other ways to enjoy the supporting role. I was then given a chance to try out some other lanes such as top to which I then fed hideously so was then put back to support until I played some bot games. I joined a few clans, made new friends and through them i was handed down their knowledge that I put to use into my games.
"You need to be able to farm, it gives you money and you need money to buy Items. The more items you have the more you are able to do for your team". It sounds simple. You hit the minion and you get money. You buy items and then you are stronger. I had never gave anything like this thought, i was so interested in just spamming buttons and trying to kill the other player I would mostly fall behind or feed my lane. I had the attitude of a four year old surrounded by brightly lit buttons all around me. I just wanted to press them all and have fun.
Since then I have been on a vast journey to reach platinum. I decided to start writing this after reading a blog made by GentlemenGustaf titled: 'Why There are No Female LoL Pros: How to Change That'. I would like to become great female League of Legends player. I want to take away the idea that the majority of female LoL players are bronze/silver: stream half naked to get lots of views and really just crave some attention. I want to show that females can also be just as good as males, to show that some of us want to become good players and be respected for that. 

Pad.

2 comments:

  1. It's going to be interesting reading about how you went from '4 year old surrounded by brightly lit buttons' to the Plat player you are right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now that you have reached Platinum, is your new goal to reach Challenger?

    ReplyDelete